Evaluation Officer at African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Evaluation Officer, BDEV1
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’ Ivoire
- The overarching mission of the African Development Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank and foster sustainable growth and poverty reduction in its regional member countries through independent and influential evaluations, oversight over self-evaluation processes and products, and proactive engagement in evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities.
- To support the Bank Group in achieving greater development effectiveness, the independent evaluation function has adopted three core objectives:
- Contribute to enhanced learning in the Bank and regional member countries to improve current and future policies, strategies, programs, projects, and processes.
- Provide a basis for accountability to the public and to member countries by documenting the use and results of the Bank Group’s assistance.
- Promote an evaluation culture in the Bank and regional member countries to encourage a focus on development results, learning, and continuous quality improvement.
- The core mandate of Independent Development Evaluation is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of African Development Bank’s self-evaluation activities. Independent Development Evaluation also collaborates and exchanges information with bilateral and multilateral development agencies’ evaluation departments and undertakes joint evaluation of co-financed projects and programs.
- Independent Development Evaluation has three divisions: The Power, Energy, Climate Change and Green Growth; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; and Integration Evaluations Division (BDEV.1), the Agriculture, Human and Social Development, Corporate and Country Evaluations Division (BDEV.2) and the Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development Division (BDEV.3). The Divisions 1 and 2 focus on undertaking evaluations whilst Division 3 works on Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development.
- The evaluation officer contributes to the delivery of the division work program by leading components of evaluations, participating in evaluation teams, and supporting work program implementation and BDEV’s quality assurance activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager BDEV1 the Evaluation Officer will:
- Contribute to or undertake Evaluation Activities: Design (including literature review, evaluation question framing, approach, data sources and methods), conduct and report on evaluations in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Strategy and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards and the Evaluation Cooperation Group (ECG) Good Practice Standards).
- Promote the mandate of the evaluation function and contribute to the creation of an evaluation culture in the Bank and in Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- Contribute to positioning BDEV as an innovator and leading-edge among other multilateral institutions and to maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Evaluation Function.
- Contribute to building strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the Bank to further the Evaluation Function’s mandate and engage in evaluation communities of practice within and outside the Bank.
- Contribute to the preparation of BDEV’s three-year rolling work programme and annual report.
- Contribute to Meta-Evaluations and Meta-Analyses; design, data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Contribute to updating the BDEV evaluation quality standards, and quality assurance processes, tools and capacity.
- Contribute to the capture and dissemination of evaluation results and lessons learned, and also to the follow-up of BDEV evaluation recommendations.
- Contribute to the effective and efficient management of evaluation human and financial resources especially in ensuring timely data gathering, analysis and reporting.
- Perform any other assigned tasks.
- Holds at least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Development Evaluation, Evaluation Science, Finance (Economic Finance; Financial Market Analysis), Business Administration, Sociology, Development, Statistics, Policy Analysis, Public administration, Infrastructure or Private and Financial Sector Development, or related field.
- Also holds a certificate in development evaluation, or development-oriented research and/or program/project planning, management and evaluation (desirable).
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in designing, conducting, managing and reporting development evaluation/research studies.
- Significant knowledge in quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation methods.
- Broad knowledge of evaluation theories and practice including evaluation needs assessment, design and implementation.
- Strong theoretical and operational knowledge of international development issues and theories relating, in particular, to Africa.
- Experience in providing strategic advice to management.
- Experience in managing human and financial resources.
- Experience to working in multidisciplinary teams, and in diverse and multi-cultural settings.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of integrated document management system and/or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages is an added advantage.
- Operational and field experience working in private and/or financial sector development and /or other complex development programs (desirable).
- Knowledge of operational/policy areas, procedures and practice of the AfDB or other multilateral development Banks and/or other international development agencies.
- Operational experience relating, in particular, to areas covered by BDEV 1 (private sector, infrastructure (including transport, ICT, urban development, water and sanitation), industrialization, power, energy, climate change, green growth and regional integration).
- Experience in development planning, management and evaluation in Multilateral Development Banks or other international development agencies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for further assessment will be contacted.
- Applicants should submit a concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) and any additional documents that may be stated as required.
- The President of the African Development Bank reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. http://www.afdb.org
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
- “Please note that the Bank does not accept dual nationality. Therefore, you are required to declare the nationality you would like to be considered by the Bank throughout your career, if hired. Please upload supporting Government-issued IDs such as passport, National Identity Card or Certificate etc.”
Application Deadline 15th July, 2021.