Community Liaison Officer at The US Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Liaison Officer (CLO Coordinator) – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-029RA
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: FP – 0101 6
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: FP-6
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C. U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Top Secret Clearance
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- The incumbent serves as liaison between the official government community and post management.
- Prepares and sends reports, and data as required by the Family Liaison Office (FLO) or other Department stakeholders.
- Establishes and maintains personal contacts within and outside the Mission, leveraging these resources to further the CLO program.
- Supervises two CLO Assistant position.
- Uses existing resources for referring individuals who request counseling or guidance.
- Serves as a point of contact and advocate for the Family Member Employment program.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of 2 years work experience or the equivalent in communication with the public, and organizing small, medium or large events.
- Knowledge of the local environment, Consulate or Embassy functions, key personnel.
- Completion of Secondary or High school is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent in written and spoken English is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Ability to generate ideas for events and follow-through with the planning and organization.
- Basic working level of MS Word is required.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate across age ranges from children to adult, and across cultures. Must have good writing skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-461-4000, [email protected]
Application Deadline 9th September, 2021.