Assistant Technical Officer – Nutrition at The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS)
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of Parliament in 1960. This Act depicts that the NRCS is recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a community based Voluntary Aid Society, auxiliary to and complementing the public authorities in the area of humanitarian interventions.
Assistant Technical Officer – Nutrition
Location: Uyo, Akwa Ibom
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Technical Officer – Clinical Services, the ATO-N is expected to support the implementation of the nutrition components of the intervention.
- ATO-N is a member of the health outreach team working collaboratively to ensure integration of nutrition services are provided for refugees and host communities in settlements and PHCs
- Identify training needs and build technical capacity of PHC nutrition unit, support mothers club, group promoters and Community IYCF.
- Support CMAM and IYCF services including Growth Promotion and Monitoring, organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically, conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers and effective referrals
- Ensure monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies ensuring stock levels are accounted for and adequate for the outreach teams and PHCs.
- He/ She shall also provide mentorship and guidance to health workers in PHCs on nutrition services
- Organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically in supported PHCs, communities and settlements
- Work with the Mothers Club volunteers to identify locally available nutritional foods for prevention of malnutrition and community management of acute malnutrition.
- Conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers to optimal IYCF uptake
- Ensure Gender mainstreaming in nutrition, and integration of other sectors
- Engagein community dialogue, sensitize stakeholders/community on IYCF-E activities and specific humanitarian programs implemented by NRCS.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Nutrition or Dietetics
- Must be registered with appropriate regulatory body
- Must possess a valid practicing license
- At least two years experience in clinical work or humanitarian settings.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the project sites is required
- Ability to collect, analyze and produce good quality data and information
- Proven skills in data management with concrete knowledge of open-source tools such as ODK collect, KoBo Toolbox.
- Computer literacy with possible advanced Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms PowerPoint and Ms access
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff
- Strong communication skills; oral, written and presentation skills.
- Must be flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrate experience in management and supervision of outreach services.
- Demonstrate experience working in a multi-cultural/religious setting.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter (as one single document) to: [email protected] explaining why you should be considered for the position you applied for.
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- State the Position applied for/State/Name as subject of the email
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.