Financial Assistant at The US Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Assistant – All Interested Candidates (Designated Billing Office Coordinator/Admin Asst.)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2023-003
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 0401 7
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-7
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The incumbent serves as the Designated Billing Office Coordinator for the Embassy and all Agencies: receiving and verifying vendor invoices relative to requisitions/contracts for goods and services, manages the Nigeria FMC invoices mailbox, and ensures all vendor invoices and employee claims received are accurately indexed into the ILMS E-Invoicing system and these invoices/claims are routed to the appropriate section/Agency for required approvals and backup documentation.
- Incumbent doubles as the Administrative Assistant of the section, responsible for supporting the FMC to stay organized and complete administrative tasks and performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- University Degree in the field of Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or Economics is required.
- NYSC Certificate/Exclusion/Exemption is required.
- Two years’ experience in bookkeeping and office administration is required.
- Familiarity with local and national culture, business practices of processing payments is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Good working knowledge Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform data entry, data tracking and analysis is required. Good communication skills and customer service skills is required.
- The ability to articulate standard issues orally and in writing is required.
- Effective communication in English; good analytical and interpersonal skills, attention to details and high level of accuracy and especially when working with numbers is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint is required.
- High proficiency in using calculators and effective time management is required. Incumbent will be required to lift supplies with weights up to 25lbs biweekly.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 7,298,859 (USD 38,894) / Annum
Application Closing Date
18th January, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate/Exclusion/Exemption
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Important Information and Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja.