Supply Chain Officer at The United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Officer, NOC
Requisition ID: 250538
Job Type: Fixed Term
Department: Supply Chain
- These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) and report to a more senior Supply Chain Officer or Deputy Division/Country Director.
- Job holders at this grade level demonstrate adaptive capacities in effective supply chain management and make significant independent contributions to the planning and development of operating policies and procedures.
- Job holders are expected to manage and complete projects or assignments of a major nature achieving effective outputs.
- Job holders typically anchor a substantive team consisting of professional and support staff ensuring high performance and development.
- To provide specialist advice, analytics and contributions to integrated supply chain operations at the Nigeria Country Office level, and manage field supply chain operations to ensure an effective and integrated supply chain approach meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and service provision requirements for partners.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Participate in the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Analyze regional/country context, and design and manage end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges and obtain operational optimization.
- Plan and manage implementation of innovative supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure timely, cost-effective and integrated approach with core activities and services and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Provide technical advice and identify opportunities for improvement and innovation initiatives analyzing best practices from the humanitarian and development fields, academia and private sector.
- Plan, monitor and manage resources to maximize effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Build productive partnerships and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Identify and build productive partnerships with counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge and resources and build capacity to ensure coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Manage service providers/vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations and safeguard WFP’s interest.
- Manage accurate and timely reporting including provision of substantial analysis of supply chain activities and trends to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Manage, motivate and develop a team providing coaching, training and career guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of specific supply chain risks to enable WFP, governments and other partners to quickly respond and deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform in-depth market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Manage supply chain operations to ensure compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with special emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Constantly monitor the performance of supply chain operations to ensure that appropriate internal controls are in place.
Other as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Utilizes understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives to communicate linkages to team objectives and work.
- Be a force for positive change: Proactively identifies and develops new methods or improvements for self and immediate team to address work challenges within own work area.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Identifies opportunities to further align individual contributions with WFP’s mission of making an impact on local communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Helps colleagues to see the link between their individual tasks and the contributions of their unit’s goals to the broader context of WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Is able to identify, support and encourage focused on-the-job learning opportunities to address gaps between current skillsets and needed future skillsets for WFP.
- Create an inclusive culture: Recognizes the contributions of teammates, and encourages contributions from culturally different team mates to recognise the value of diversity above and beyond just including it in programming for beneficiaries.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Provides and solicits ongoing constructive feedback on strengths and development opportunities to help develop individual skills, whilst also helping others identify areas for improvement.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear targets for self and others to focus team efforts in ambiguous situations (e.g., unprecedented issues and/or scenarios).
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Thinks beyond team’s conventional approaches to formulate creative methods for delivering food aid and assistance to beneficiaries.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains focus on achieving individual results in the face of obstacles such as volatile or fragile environments and/or organizational roadblocks.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes personal accountability for upholding and delivering upon team’s commitments and provides assurance to stakeholders.
- Be Decisive: Demonstrates ability to adjust to team’s plans and priorities to optimize outcomes in light of evolving directives, while also responding quickly in high-pressure environments, such as in emergency settings.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Demonstrates an understanding of when and how to tactfully engage other units in conversations on impact, timing, or planning.
- Build strong external partnerships: Networks regularly with key external partners using formal and informal opportunities to understand each partner’s unique value proposition, and to build and strengthen relationships.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Demonstrates ability to adapt engagement approach in the context of evolving partner circumstances and expectations.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Demonstrates ability to articulate to internal and external audiences the value that individual contributions and immediate teams bring to partnerships.
- Capability Name: Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Supply Chain Strategy: Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain strategies. Conducts analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation. Operationalizes strategies in own area of responsibility.
- Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening: Leads design and implementation of supply chain capacity strengthening initiatives within area of operations managed. Leverages WFP’s supply chain capacities and networks to strengthen national value chains and stakeholders.
- Supply Chain Performance & Development: Leads continuous supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives within area of operations managed. Defines operational performance targets, monitors performance, anticipates and mitigates risks for timely corrective actions.
- Supply Chain Planning: Leads supply chain planning within area of operations managed. Oversees and coordinates periodic planning across functions and with partners. Ensures consensusbased plans are in place and aligned with strategy.
- Supply Chain & Networks Management: Manages end-to-end supply chain within area of operations. Leads the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks. Oversees and coordinates integrated delivery of supply chain services.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Leads by Example with Integrity
- Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
- Fosters Inclusion and Collaboration
- Applies Strategic Thinking
- Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least five (5) years of postgraduate professional experience in Supply Chain operations including coordination with internal and external stakeholders, implementing operational supply chain strategies, and designing & implementing supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
- Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role
- Experience in managing an area of supply chain operations including coordination with internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience identifying operational risks and maintaining documentation on emergency preparedness;
- Experience in implementing approved corrective actions to improve performance and monitoring progress;
- Experience supervising professional staff.
- Experience in implementing operational supply chain strategies in a country;
- Experience in designing and implementing supply chain, retail and partnership networks;
- Experience in managing relationships and national capacity building initiatives with UN agencies, NGOs, private sector and/or government organizations;
- Experience evaluating and selecting service providers and/or suppliers;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 18th January, 2023.
Terms And Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant