ESG Officer at CrossBoundary Energy (CBE)
CrossBoundary Energy (CBE) is the leading provider of clean, renewable, reliable, and affordable electricity directly to businesses. According to World Bank data, access to reliable and affordable electricity is the most significant constraint on economic growth on the continent. CBE addresses this challenge by providing corporates with fully financed renewable power. Through this approach, we are building a disruptive, distributed, renewable utility that can unlock sustainable growth.
We are already making rapid progress towards our vision. CBE is currently delivering a portfolio of over $200M of solar, wind, and storage projects for businesses across Africa. Our clients include Actis, Diageo, Heineken, Rio Tinto, Syrah Resources, Unilever, and other leading regional companies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ESG Officer
Experience: Entry Level
- CrossBoundary Energy is recruiting a full-time ESG Officer to implement our Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and reduce risks to environment, health, and safety (EHS) and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks in delivery of our renewable energy projects. We are seeking a resourceful and detail-oriented technical professional to evaluate risks present on CBE’s construction and operating project sites, support contractors to plan and carry out appropriate mitigation actions, and collect data on contractor compliance to report to company management and investors. The ESG Officer will conduct desktop-based ESG due diligence into prospective CBE clients, suppliers, and business partners.
- This person will also oversee resolution of worker and community complaints submitted through CBE’s grievance mechanism, and track project applications for construction, environmental, and safety certifications as required. We expect the ESG Officer’s work to contribute directly toward our goal to become a model of ESG excellence among independent power producers in Africa. This person will report to the ESG Manager and collaborate regularly with the business development, project development, legal, and asset management functions on ESG topics.
Who We Are
- The CrossBoundary Energy team is a unique group of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting renewable energy markets.
- The chosen candidate will play an important role in a unique team with the opportunity to make a large impact on the clean energy landscape in Africa. Team members come from diverse backgrounds but share several qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
- Assertively supports contractors to deliver on the key elements of EHS on a construction site through remote and on-site monitoring. Confidently recommends changes and improved ways of operating to teammates and external contractors. Writes comprehensive site audit reports upon conducting EHS inspections
- Consistently, accurately, and clearly captures ESG reporting from contractors and CBE’s grievance mechanism. Transmits to the team through existing tools and procedures in accordance with internal and external reporting deadlines, including quarterly and annual investor ESG reports
- Applies international standards for environmental and social impact mitigation knowledgeably through creation and evaluation of contractor Risk Assessment Method Statements (RAMS) to standard CBE projects via ESMS procedures. Oversees and validates completion of mitigation actions
- Proactively identifies ESG risks within projects and raises with manager, or directly with management and investors in the event of an incident or near miss
- Analyzes relevant ESG laws and regulations in existing markets and during new market entry and clarify impacts to the broader CBE team. Subject-matter expert in 1-2 jurisdictions. Proactively raises questions about best practices for compliance.
- Supports application for and acquisition of project permits for construction, environmental, and safety certification as needed
- Conducts desktop research, reviews policy documents, and independently conducts interviews with suppliers and clients according to existing ESMS procedures to complete Investment Screening, Contractor Screening, and Know Your Business Partner (KYBP) assessments
- Leads by example in setting a CBE-level standard for excellence with contractors, suppliers, service providers, and other partners
Who You Are
- Excellence: You hold yourself to high standards and lead by example. You overdeliver on all tasks – big or small – necessary to contribute toward the team objective
- Finds Strength in Diversity: Skilled at creating professional relationships across nationalities, personalities, and contractual roles to get the job done. Patient and skilled at training contractors to consistently deliver to our high expectations for ESG compliance
- Curiosity: Not satisfied with “no;” assists others to generate creative solutions by looking at problems from new perspectives. You do not make or accept ultimatums
- Acts Like an Owner: Assertive on the key elements of EHS on a construction site; confident recommending changes and new ways of operating to teammates and external contractors
- Deliberate Thinker: A practical thinker known for choosing the simple, robust solution where more complicated approaches would deliver the same results. Naturally organized, systematic, and calm under pressure
- Bias to Action: Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in Africa. You are comfortable with ambiguity and effective in a fast-moving and complex environment
- Integrity: Detail-oriented, determined, and thorough in setting and enforcing EHS and ESG standards
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, i.e. Environmental Science, Engineering
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience in enforcing health, safety, and environmental standards on construction sites
- Efficient and fluent operator within Microsoft Office tools, including Microsoft Teams, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Relevant national or international environmental or health & safety certification, i.e. NEBOSH
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply